~Fight~
We got to spend some time in Ephesians this week to really explore who it is we fight against. Were you surprised to find that it is not each other? That it is not those who don't have the same beliefs as you? That it is not those who do awful, mean things to you or to those you love? Were you surprised to find that we fight against the prince of this world, Satan? When we buy into the lies of Satan, and the lies of this world we become confused. It's that confusion that frustrates us and keeps us right where Satan wants us.
What confuses you? What frustrates you? What makes you angry? Were you able to connect the answer to any of those questions to where you needed to repent? Remember, to repent means to turn away from something. Repentance becomes a self awareness of something that is not true. (Remember Satan wants us to believe his lies and make them our truth) So, repentance is just the first step. After this first step, we need to behave or act in a different way. It's in that action of doing something a different way that your "belief" in who you follow is seen and felt by others. This all happens regardless of your circumstances or how others respond. This happens because you believe in the truth and consistency of the one you follow...Jesus!
Repent AND Believe! Live in the truth of the one who has died for you and already deemed you (and everyone else) worthy of His love. It will be hard, but He has given you everything you need for the FIGHT!
Posting this message I received from one of our Kingdom Come Life Group members:
ReplyDeleteFight –
I think that we are all in a fight everyday to some extent and may not even be aware of it.
Reading my devotions today – I came across this verse: MATTHEW 25:40
40 "The king will answer them, 'I can guarantee this truth:
Whatever you did for one of my brothers or sisters, no matter
how unimportant they seemed, you did for me.'
The last line stood out to me, “whatever you did, no matter how unimportant they seemed”… and the scene that played out in my mind was San Antonio coming out of a Brazilian Steak house with my son who was dressed in his Air Force blues. There was a man there who was scraggly looking. Not clean shaven, I don’t know about his clothes, I didn’t notice. I saw he was smoking a cigarette and approached my son. He said “Congratulations, and thank you for your service”. My son was very appreciative of his compliment and I of course was proud that he was getting recognition. Then the man asked if he had any extra change or money so he could get a bite to eat from maybe McDonalds or something. He had pock marks and lesions on his face, and was smoking a cigarette. I was pretty sure that he was a drug addict as opposed to being homeless, but the question of why that determination would deter me from feeding a hungry man because he may be a drug addict as opposed to being homeless is now the thought running through my mind.
BUT here is the thing: We are a group of 5 Christians, coming out of a very expensive steak house, (I know I paid the bill). We are presented with a situation involving a man that is standing outside, peering into the window – this particular place has all the meat rotisserie style right in the window. I mean you can walk by and drool.
There were a couple things going on at this point. My son looked at me, like “mom, do something”. (He had just accepted a compliment from the man – talk about awkward – so the guy was good at what he does). The rest of the group started to slowly shuffle away, giving the "appearance" that they did not hear what was being requested. - Nice cop out, been there though. Then there was me anf i was left with my thoughts.
I weighed very quickly in my mind what was going on around us: A scruffy guy, lesion/pock marked face, smoking cigarette, waiting outside of expensive restaurant, picking a “Young Government Employee” to approach, probability of him getting drugs is high. (Pun intended). Christian people, ignoring “a least of these”, blessed to have eaten at a $60 per plate restaurant...
God says “Be the blessing and obedient, that’s the part that’s about you.” “I will deal with the one receiving the money and that will be on him. Grab the first thing you find in your purse and hand it to the man.” Without hesitation and almost embarrassed excitement I lunged into my purse and then noticed the look of surprise on the man’s face, my sons face, and our group stopped and turned to see what I was doing. I whipped out a bill handed it to him and ”God blessed” him.
I knew that was a test. I knew the fight that was going on inside each one of us – the deduction was so rapid – I was surprised at how quickly I made the decision, but I don’t pat myself on the back for this. This was the second person that approached us for money that week. The first time, everyone ignored the man. We looked uncomfortable and turned away. One of us was the spokesperson for the group and said "Sorry, we don’t have anything to give". Those words pierced into my heart. We did, we chose not to. I realize these things are a struggle. You can’t stand on the corner and hand out money to all that come to you. You have to say no sometimes. But you have to say yes sometimes too. I just hope that the next time I am approached my answer is not based on a judgment of "worthiness." "Does he look homeless enough or will he just go and buy drugs instead". It's more about me and my struggle. The fight continues.